Sunday, March 30, 2008

Emerson's Nature

The lines I chose were…

“In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, -- no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, -- my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, -- all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God. The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintances, -- master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat as beautiful as his own nature.”

I picked these lines because I can relate to them from my experiences. Every summer I go to Wyoming to a dude ranch where I spend much time outdoors in the surrounding Grand Teton National Forest. If I ride horses or hike through this national wilderness preserve, I feel at peace and forget about the pressures and time constraints at home or about anything else that is bothering me. I am able to relax and enjoy the magnificent scenery and the perfectly deep blue sky. I, like Emerson, stand in awe of nature. I wonder how the towering, snow-capped peaks high lighted with wispy, feathery clouds came to be. I marvel at the countless varieties of intricate plants I encounter on my hikes. I am amazed at how the bison, bears, elk, and moose make this rugged land their home. Being so close to all this natural wonder makes me content and peaceful. I feel like nothing can bring my spirit down or ruin my mood. Being in Wyoming makes me feel like I am part of this striking Nature.

No comments: