Thursday, May 21, 2009

Desiderata

The poem “Desiderata” by Max Ehrmann reminded me of when I go to Wyoming. In Jackson Hole, Wyoming, it is very peaceful. There is not much electronic devices, hardly any cell phone service, and not much civilization. It is basically just you, the mountains, and your mind. While we are there, we horseback ride and each ride is around three hours. During those three hours, all I do is think while I ride about different topics in my life as well as be philosophical. I think about the different feelings people can feel and why they feel them as well as why people act the way they do. When I am out there, I feel at peace and I feel like I am “a child of the universe” in this “beautiful world”. I also think about different events that have happened in my life such as past relationships, current relationships, my family, basketball, and about where I see myself in the future.

I feel like that Max Ehrmann might have been in a peaceful setting when he wrote this. He is thinking positively about life and this world. He seems like he is content where he is, but he has gone through a lot to get there. I could relate to this poem because I have been in a peaceful setting that has caused me to think deeply about life.

No comments: